Monday, March 9, 2015

Week 67 Arizona

Ashley sent a great email this week, but I feel it is pretty private - possibly because she taught me a lesson I needed to learn - and by sharing that, it would expose some pretty big character flaws I'm dealing with right now.   I will share what I can - because she just amazes me with her thoughts.  

And I wanted to include a picture she sent that made me laugh out loud, which is something I haven't done too often lately.

Here's the scripture mixed in with the lesson taught:

Mom, God has given you the ability to be happy wherever you are. In Mosiah 24 there is a perfect example of this principle. The people of Alma...weren't in a good situation, they were afflicted, burdened down and enslaved...all by some wicked guy that just had it out for Alma. But against all that, they were able to be happy - they found a way.
Mosiah 24:15
And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, anthey did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord. 

Buying and selling houses, moving across the country, and finding..."sunshine" aren't going to last. Something that I have learned on my mission is that the "happiness" that comes from the outside never lasts.  The only thing that lasts is what comes from within.  We can keep chasing that happiness, that sunshine, or whatever it is, but we will never be able to catch it. We might be able to feel the warmth for a bit but it will fade. It'll be something to keep us busy, but to quote Mick Jagger, "I can't get no...(lasting)...satisfaction." Pretty sure thats a direct quote. Anyways, we can keep chasing the light or we can be the light. Mom, learn how to be the light.  There is a way. That much I know, but we all have our own and we all have to find our way on our own. To sum up this rant into a sentence or two...Don't let your happiness be dependent on external circumstances, we have the capacity to be happy all the time. 

I love you soooooooooooooo much
Ashley

The Photo:  

No comments:

Post a Comment