Monday, June 16, 2014

Philippines Week 33

I'm sorry if this is kind of a cheesy/dumb letter but I wanted to share the thing that mattered most to me this week. Of course, I am still in the Philippines and so things are still crazy and people do crazy things I have tons of funny stories but I feel like this is more important. I haven't been sleeping much lately. I guess I just have a lot on my mind with transfers coming up so soon. I also have been having the strange re-occurring dreams about one lady that I keep seeing. One night I was awake at about 3 AM and wrote about my dream:
The Lady in Green
Today I saw the lady in green. I've seen her many times before. Each time I see her, the hairs on my arms stand up. The spirit prompts me to speak but fear binds my tongue.
What if she doesn't understand me?  
What if I am rejected? 

The lady in green is special. 
She is always working. Probably the hardest-working person that I've seen in the Philippines. 
She works in the bukid from sunrise to noonday. 
She sells ulam on the streets from noon to eve. 
She works like Adam, by the sweat of her brow. 

The lady in green is beautiful but rough/
She has dark curls pinned back away from her face. 
She has deep dimples and wrinkles from smiling.
Her skin is darkened from the long days she spends in the araw.
She is clean-looking but covered in dirt.

Her eyed twinkle with exhaustion. 
This is her life.
She works to give. She gives all that she has to her children.

I've been searching for the lady in green for weeks.

Today I had my laundry with me on a jeepney.
Every time I pass the place where i saw her I search for her face.
I've passed her by 4 times. Right before we passed her area, I has a thought that if I saw her I would yell to the jeepney driver and stop.  
Even if I had all of my laundry and it was awkward to carry.  As wee passed the spot I searched for her hair and dimples. 
At the very last second, out of the corner of my eye, 
I saw the lady in green. As I silently thanked God, I became tongue twisted. I didn't say a word. 
By the time I said anything we had already turned and it was too late.
The next street over we stopped and got off. 
We ran back to the place but the lady in green was gone.
I asked everyone if they had seen the lady in green.
But no one remembered.
I lost the Lady in Green.

This is the biggest failure of my mission. Not that I lost the lady in green but that I failed to listen to the silent promptings of the Spirit.
In that moment, I know that the Spirit has prepared the lady in green just for me. 
I know.
No matter what the circumstance, we need to heed to the Spirit.
This is the only way.
This is the most-valuable lesson that I have learned on my mission-
I will forever be grateful of the lesson that I learned from the Lady in Green.

To my family and friends-- no matter what your circumstance. No matter where you are. Trust in God.
He will guide. 
He will help you.
When you have a hunch or a prompting.
Do it.
Follow right away.
Do not doubt.
It rarely comes again.


*bukid--farm/rice fields
ulam-- meal
araw--sun/day
I love you all. Happy Father's Day to all of the Fathers.  Spend time with your families heeding to the counsel of our Prophets and leaders.  I know that this is the only way. 
Until next week, Sister Katie.

FLOOD WATERS:



         Baptism of jheilo and his family.



No comments:

Post a Comment