Sunday, March 16, 2014

Philippines Week 20

Family!! 

The weeks go by so fast.  It feels like I just emailed/forgot to email.  So this week was the REAL start of summer here in the Philippines.  It was SO hot.  It was in reality about 95 F  but it felt hotter than anything I have ever experienced because of the crazy humidity.  Someone told us that there were  warnings not to be in direct sunlight from 10am to 4pm.  At siyempre sabi ko sa kanila "okay lang kasi may Espiritu Santo po ako" Narinig nyo na ba ang tungkol sa ebanghelyo ni Jesucristo?  (And of course I say to them "it's okay because I have the Spirit" Have you heard about the Gospel of Jesus Christ?).  But it really is hot.  We have to take an umbrella, extra purified water and sunscreen everyday. Last Monday, Sister Hart actually at in the laundry tub while I pumped water on her.  She said it was the best she felt in months.  On Monday, I also introduced some of the Branch Missionaries to Chubby Bunny.  (The game where you see who can put the most marshmallows in their mouth.) So funny because people struggle saying chubby bunny even without marshmallows in their mouth. It made me think of all those times with the giant marshmallows--Ash always dominated.  We also had lunch and dinner with members.  We had lunch on the beach.  That was super fun.  We then went and had lunch with the Ablians.  They are a political family here in San Felipe.  She is the new Relief Society President and he is the 1st Counselor in the Branch Presidency.  (Mom- you should add him on facebook because there are a ton of pictures of us-- Ablian Romil)
On Wednesday we had a cooking demo/mission president interviews/couple missionary interviews.  We started super late and so we didn't proselyte at all.  So I had an interview with President Querido and Elder and Sister Gorringe. 
On Thursday, we taught the Law of Chastity to a pregnant teenager.  I was super worried when we first got there.  I asked her if she read the pamphlet and if she had questions.  She looked at me and said- in Tagalog, but  essentially - "Sister Raynor, its too late".  She then laughed.  We talked a lot about the repentance process.  It was really neat to be able to see the gospel and the knowledge of the gospel working in her.  
On Friday, I taught Darnel. I say that "I" taught Darnel because I did it by myself. Darnel is 38 years old.  He is Filipino but he moves to the US when he was 8. HE just moved back to the Philippines last year.  He understands and speaks Tagalog but he feels more comfortable with English. He has traveled all over the world.  He has the weirdest accent.  Because he moved so much growing up.  He sounds like he belongs in Boston with a little bit of southern twang.  But we taught the first lesson about the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to him. I taught the whole lesson.  It was so weird/fun to speak in English.  I understood all of his concerns and his needs and I was able to address them.  It was amazing.  The Spirit was so strong.  It was by far my best lesson so far.  
I love this work.  Sometimes, I get homesick or just the ease of life at home but I would not give up these 18 months.  I am sad that I only have 12 more months.  I love you all and I hope everyone is doing great. 
 Cubo.  Sister Raynor




                        1+2)  CDO- the youngest son of the Ablians.  He is 9 years old and is always at that computer.


3) Chubby Bunny



                                        4)  Sister Hart in the laundry tub

No comments:

Post a Comment