Sunday, September 21, 2014

Week 41 Arizona

The Book of Mormon is so powerful. In Alma 31:5 we are encouraged to try the virtue of the word. In Alma 37:9 Alma tells us that is was the Book of Mormon that converted and changed the hearts of the Lamanites. This has been the message that I have received all week long. 

I don't have a lot of time today and I have a million thoughts that I was wanting to share today so I will do my best to get them all out and still make is understandable.

So on exchanges, which I love, I was talking with Sister Roth, who with Sisters Smuin and Haar is one of my favorite people EVER. We talked about so many things but the one that I feel impressed to share today has to do with comparing ourselves to others. We were talking and she said how when we do this we are being prideful. We are either putting ourselves above another or someone else above us, and both are wrong. As a missionary it can be extremely hard not to compare, but you are always left with feelings of inadequacy, which it says in the PMG will result in the loss of the Spirit. When we lose the Spirit we are more vulnerable and susceptible to the adversary and his tricks. At this point I agree, but I pointed out that it can be used for the good as well. When we use it to compare our weaknesses to others strengths and the results are self-deprecating thoughts, it is negative, but when we use it to measure ourselves it (in my mind at least) can be very positive. If we compare ourselves to Christ for example, it is easy to get discouraged, but if we use it as a gauge (okay I need to work on patience or charity or humility) it can help us to keep progressing.

So what can we do to avoid the negative while still using the positive? This has been a question I have asked myself many times. I cannot say that I have one sure answer, but at the same time I can. That answer is Christ. We need to focus on Him. Don't look at Him and compare who you are right now, because that is the worst comparison you can make. He is perfect like our Father, we are not and cannot be until we to are resurrected. But look to Him. Take the attributes that He exemplified and apply them. Focus on how you can be Father's hands. It's all about letting His love replace your feeling of inadequacy. 

Trust. What a powerful word. This is what I strive for. Trust from Him and all trust in Him. He is the way the truth and the light. He is how we get to our Father. We have to trust in Him. We really have no other choice. I learned this again this week when one of our investigators Maria told us that that lesson with her would be the last that we have. Loosing an investigator is always hard, but as I prayed about it that night, I felt peace. I had to trust that the Lord knows what is best  for her. I know that one day she will act on what she knows is true. She told us when she finally does gets baptized that Sister Smuin and I get all the credit. I shared my testimony to her and the Spirit was so strong! I know that she felt it and I know that she'll make the right choice someday.

I love being here in Tempe, It's become my second home. These members are my friends, my brothers and sisters, but transfers are looming and I can feel that my time here in Tempe might be coming to a close. 

The Church is True, The Book is Blue, and Moroni stands on a ball.

Sister Raynor

  Tempe - just before the rain storm.



After a long day of no lessons, Sister Smuin bought us slurpees with some sweet mustache straws!

No comments:

Post a Comment